Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Lab Reflection


So the last lab has come to an end, and I am left to reflect on what I have learned from teaching at Saint Mary's. I think back to the very first lab and how incredibly nervous I was to teach my game to the students. This feeling steadily lessened as each lab flew by, and now I find that I am much more informed of the many skills that are necessary to become a quality physical educator. Coming into this course I wasn't sure what to expect, but I did come out with many value lessoned learned. I still have a lot of learning and work to do, but I now know what type of teacher I am striving to become. I love sports, and coming into physical education that is all I focused on. I have learned that there is so much more than just teaching sport skills, that a huge portion of teaching is not just the material, but the teacher themselves. Educators must give value to their lessons, a task which is difficult in physical education. Many teachers are met with critism from co workers, students, and parents. Those who do not see the importance in being physically educated. We must give reasons, have proof to back up the importance of fitness, and stand up for what we believe is important. In the classroom we must keep students excited, keep them guessing, and have a mysterious way of teaching. Teach through the physical, understand developmental stages to help in knowing how to break down skills. What I have learned in this course is just the tip of the iceburg, but I am happy to have a base knowledge that I can continue to expand.

No comments:

Post a Comment